Tracy J. Evans II, Esq.
Mr. Evans was born and raised in Rockingham County, Virginia, and focuses his practice on criminal defense, civil litigation, and personal injury law. With regard to his criminal law practice, Mr. Evans defends individuals charged in both state and federal court with serious felonies, including violent crimes such as murder, aggravated malicious wounding, burglary, aggravated sexual offenses, and the transportation and distribution of illegal drugs. Mr. Evans is one of the few attorneys in Rockingham County certified by the Virginia Indigent Defense Commission to serve as co-counsel on capital murder (death penalty) cases. Mr. Evans also defends individuals charged with felony financial crimes, such as embezzlement, credit card fraud, money laundering, and forging of public records. Mr. Evans also has extensive experience representing clients who are charged in traffic court for various traffic offenses, including reckless driving by speed and traffic accidents resulting in fatalities. Mr. Evans represents many James Madison University students who are charged with underage possession of alcohol, both for their first offense, as well as for their second and third offenses, and any resulting ASAP violations.
Mr. Evans also has significant experience with civil litigation, and defends both individuals and businesses in civil litigation matters.
Mr. Evans has successfully represented plaintiffs in personal injury cases for motor vehicle accidents, intentional torts, dog bites, and medical malpractice.
Before founding Evans Law Group, the predecessor to Evans Oliver PLC, Mr. Evans was a partner at Eldridge Elledge Evans & Harding PLC, in Harrisonburg, Virginia. While at his previous firm, Mr. Evans' practice included criminal defense of serious felonies as well as traffic infractions and alcohol violations, civil litigation, wills and trusts, and plaintiff’s personal injury.
Mr. Evans graduated from the George Mason University School of Law. While at law school, Mr. Evans was the Notes Editor for the Federal Circuit Bar Journal, the official publication of the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit. Additionally, Mr. Evans was the Vice President of Law Students for the Second Amendment, a student organization dedicated to the preservation of Second Amendment rights. For his undergraduate education, Mr. Evans attended The College of William & Mary, the nation's second oldest university, where he was a member of the Kappa Alpha Order and graduated with a B.S. in Biology. Mr. Evans graduated from Turner Ashby High School in Bridgewater, Virginia. He, his wife, and two daughters reside in Harrisonburg.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Criminal Defense
- Personal Injury
- Civil Litigation
- 30% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Virginia, 2006
- U.S. District Court Western District of Virginia, 2007
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2008
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Western District of Virginia, 2007
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court Eastern District of Virginia, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2007
- George Mason University School of Law, Arlington, Virginia
- Law Journal: Federal Circuit Bar Journal, Notes Editor
- Vice President of Law Students for the Second Amendment
- The College of William & Mary
- Major: Biology
- Age-Related Decline in Reproductive Sensitivity to Inhibition by Short Photoperiod in Peromyscus Leucopus (Co-Author with David R. Broussard, et. al), Journal of Mammalogy, Vol. 90, No. 1, pp. 32-39, February, 2009
- Miller v. Harrisonburg-Rockingham Social Services District, 2009 WL 743394, March, 2009
HONORS AND AWARDS
- Super Lawyers Virginia Rising Star - 2009
- Super Lawyers Virginia Rising Star - 2012
- Super Lawyers Virginia Rising Star - 2013
- Super Lawyers Virginia Rising Star - 2014
- National Academy Of Criminal Defense Attorneys Top 10 Under 40 Virginia - 2014
- Super Lawyers Virginia Rising Star - 2015
- Super Lawyers Virginia Rising Star - 2016
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Virginia State Bar, Member
- Virginia Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (VACDL), Member
- Association of Young Professionals (AYP), Board of Directors, 2007 - 2011
- Harrisonburg City Republican Committee, Chairman, 2009 - 2013
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), Member
- Harrisonburg/Rockingham County Bar Association, Treasurer, 2013 - 2014
- Harrisonburg/Rockingham County Bar Association, President-Elect, 2014
- Harrisonburg/Rockingham County Bar Association, President, 2015 - 2016
- Generations Crossing Adult & Childcare Center, President, 2016-present
PAST EMPLOYMENT POSITIONS
- Eldridge, Elledge, Evans & Harding in Harrisonburg, Virginia, Partner, 2008 - 2012
- Wharton Aldhizer & Weaver PLC, in Harrisonburg, Virginia, Associate, 2006 - 2007
- Kappa Alpha Order